Saturday, August 29, 2015

Cheesehead Half marathon Hilbert, WI

The Cheesehead Half is becoming a traditional race on my race schedule.  The race is growing in size and in competition (thanks to the addition of prize $ that started last year).  I wanted to use this race as a good speed workout as I've been focusing more on just running miles as opposed to doing speed work.

On race morning I was up early and was helping to get stuff ready for Audrey's 2nd birthday party.  I left the house around 6:00am and headed to the race that I thought started at 8:00.  As I neared the race I noticed there were a lot of people there already and people were warming up.  Turns out the race starts at 7:15 and it is now 7:00.  I quickly park, grab my bib and do a mile shakeout and head to the starting line.  I do a couple of strides and a little stretching and it is go time.  The gun goes off and I join my fellow WRRT teammate John Dewitt at the front of the lead pack.  We run the first 4 miles averaging 4:59 miles and we found ourselves on our own in front.  At this point my legs were a bit pissed off at me as they weren't use to that fast of running and they had enough.  I left John take the lead and I settled into a little more comfortable pace.

Being a race held in a small country town with half the race on a crushed pea gravel travel in the middle of farm fields, there wasn't much for crowd support to lift my spirits and give me a little more energy to pick the pace back up so I never caught back up with John and we finished 1-2.  We both (along with 3rd) picked up a little cash, cheese, honey and a locally spun ceramic mug.

The top 4 of us went on a cool down together and waited around for awards.  I avoided the smorgasbord of buffet food that was there for the finishers along with the gut rot that it would later give me and instead had one of my chocolate whey USANA nutrimeal shakes.

Link to results:
http://www.onlineraceresults.com/race/view_race.php?race_id=48492#racetop

Top 5 results:
1.John Dewitt1:06:45
2.Tyler Sigl1:08:41
3.Nathan Weiland1:10:51
4.Jason Ryf1:13:08
5.Zachary Ziesemer1:19:17

No comments:

Post a Comment