Friday, June 10, 2016

Cayuga Trails 50 Mile: US 50 Mile Trail National Championship




Cayuga Trails 50 Mile: US 50 Mile Trail National Championship
June 4th, 2016

Weather conditions on race day were predicted to get hot with temps starting around 60 and reaching the low 80s.  That being said, my plan of attack was to be aggressive early (some Zach Miller style racing) and settle in as the temps climbed.  Being familiar with my competition, I know that Jared and Dylan are good climbers and can finish strong and Matt is a really consistent runner.  Getting a gap on my competition early I figured would give me my best chances of pulling off the victory.  A victory would give me one of the four auto spots on the US Trail team to compete at the world championship race in Geres, Portugal on October 29th.

Race Morning:
I woke up around 4:30, ate a couple USANA peanut butter bars, did a little race imagery and Jess and I headed off to the race.   At 6am the Ram Horn blew and we were off!!!  800 meters into the race I found myself all alone.  I felt super comfortable and relaxed.  At this point I started to push the throttle and let it rip.  I flew through the next portions of the course, feeling as if I was one with the trail. 

I’m now a quarter of the way into the race, I’m still feeling great and I’ve built a comfortable lead.  I make my way up the stairs of Buttermilk falls and take in some of the scenery.  At the top of the falls my legs are still feeling great and I press on.   I keep thinking to myself today is either going to be the day when everything clicks and goes great or I’m going to have an epic meltdown in the later portions of the race.  I must have been doing a little bit too much thinking because the next thing I knew I was flying through the air and then eating some dirt.  Some tree root wanted to be the funny guy… not so funny to me.   A couple expletives later and I was back on my feet.  I scraped up a hand, knee and had some pretty bad hot spots in my right leg.  After tweaking my hamstring last year and fading to 3rd I was now beginning to worry. I fueled up at the next aide station and a mile or so later the hot spots worked themselves out and I was back to feeling good both physically and mentally.  

Photo Credit: Richard Bolt

I hit the half way point in 3:05, take a split on my watch and head back out for round two.  A mile later I encounter the chase pack of Jared and Dylan.  I check my watch and I’ve got a 13 minute lead, not long after I cross paths with Matt as well.  Would 13 minutes be enough of a lead with the heat settling in, the fast start and a group of strong runners on the chase?  I told myself yes and continued to forge on.

At the mile 32 aide station Jess greeted me with a buff stuffed with ice which.  Shortly after the aide station I did a little splashing around in the creek crossing.  The combination of the ice any water had me feeling refreshed.  I make the stroll up Lick Brook, make my way through upper Buttermilk falls and I push the pace on the descent into lower Buttermilk falls.  That’s when I come across funny guy tree root #2.  I once again hit the ground hard.  I get a little road rash and mess something up in my hand, luckily a not a leg.  Not as many expletives this time and I’m on my way.
I’m now ¾ of the way through the race and I’m starting to feel a bit drained.  I work on keeping my focus forward and try not to worry about my chasers.  I use the lap traffic to pull me along, leap frogging from one runner to the next.  I splash around in another creek crossing at mile 42.  I grab some fuel and ice at mile 43 aide station and continue on. Shortly after the aide station my body starts putting on the brakes.  I slow to a walk.  As I come to a little hill I find myself unable to even walk.  I stop fuel up and I lay down for a couple of minute.  A couple of runners check in with me as the go past and I ensure them that I’ll be fine.  I ask myself how bad do you want it?  How much do you want to make the world team?  How bad do you want to win this race?  I take a deep breath and get back to my feet. I find my body happy with the short rest and I am able to carry on.

I make the final climb up Lucifer’s stairs and I have 3 miles of downhill to the finish.  With a little under a mile to go Jess yells at me that I can get the course record of 6:47 held by Sage Canaday.  I pick up the pace and push it through the finish.  My 13 minute lead at the half way point was enough.  I get the victory, earn my spot on the US world trail team and I set the course record.

Photo Credit: Richard Bolt



Huge Thank You to Ian Golden for putting on an amazing event and the volunteers that help make it happen.  Between the outstanding race direction, competition, scenery and camaraderie, this race has become one of my favorites and I’ve already penned into my 2017 race schedule.

Another huge Thank You to my wonderful wife Jessica and her awesome crewing skills, I couldn’t have done it without you.  As well as to my sponsor USANA for providing me with supplements for everyday health, tasty snacks and great recovery shakes.

Results: 
Congratulations to everyone that finished and a big high five to those who made the top ten.

Cayuga Trails 50 Mile Results
Top of Form
Top of Form
Bottom of Form
Place
Name
Age
Distance
Time

1
30
50.40
06:43:41

2
29
50.40
06:55:05

3
30
50.40
07:06:19

4
30
50.40
07:12:15

5
27
50.40
07:22:31

6
40
50.40
07:40:28

7
37
50.40
07:40:35

8
38
50.40
07:47:35

9
34
50.40
07:50:02

10
28
50.40
07:53:16





No comments:

Post a Comment